SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2011

Date:
Sat, 11 Jun 2011 11:46:01 -0400
On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 11:37 AM, Jon Peatfield
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> The TUV's technical notes for 6.0 say:
>
> http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Technical_Notes/networking.html
>
> 5. Networking
>
> NetworkManager
> NetworkManager is enabled by default if it is installed. However,
> NetworkManager is only installed by default in the client use cases.
> NetworkManager is available to be installed for the server use cases,
> but is not included in the default installation.

I wonder how accurate this is (in spite of it being in TUV's tech notes!).

If you do an SL6 kickstart install with just "@base", NM's installed
and active. So, unless an "@base" install's somehow considered a
"client use" install, that statement's for SL6. Fedora's behaved this
way for a few releases so it's probably safe to assume that RHEL6 does
too.