SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2011

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jun 2011 20:18:47 -0400
On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 10:55 AM, Lamar Owen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Thursday, June 09, 2011 07:21:29 PM you wrote:
>> The curses based, text compatible system-config-network needs
>> everything a typical desktop or server needs. It lacks some of the
>> foofiness of NetworkManager, but that's both unnecessary and dangerous
>> on a stable desktop or server, as we've seen happen repeatedly for new
>> installations of RHEL based systems over the last 5 years or so.
>
> Heh.  Why would you want to stick with such an old codebase, Nico?  The TUI system-config-network is deprecated in upstream EL6 and will at some point in time be removed, once the NM config tools are able to duplicate all functionality.  And they are most definitely getting closer.  This is part of what going to EL6 is and will be about.....

Because it works well over SSH remote connections, headless serial
port based access for clusters, virtualized system consoles where
GUI's are ill supported and burden the VM and the host,
micro-installations, and systems where some sucker installed NVidia
drivers, updated their OpenGL libraries, and broke X but hard. It's
dealing with flat text files in a well devined, shell compatible
format: there is no XML or complex databases to deal with, just some
simple configuration files. And if you make a mistake in the network
configuration, you again break X services.

Should I go on? This is an old subject, and I've got plenty more reasons.