SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2011

From:
Chris Tooley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Tooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jun 2011 16:20:23 -0700
On 11-06-10 7:56 AM, Connie Sieh wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Jun 2011, Chris Tooley wrote:
>
>> Hello everyone!
>>
>> OK still trying to get graphical login working with SSSD + GDM, so
>> here's more information about my system setup, with which I cannot login
>> using an LDAP account through GDM.
>>
>> 	* I am using 6rolling
>> 	* I am using base 6rolling install - nothing customized.
>> 	* I am using SSSD (sssd-1.5.1-34.el6.x86_64) with LDAP for
>> authentication and identification purposes.
>> 	* I can log in as root
>> 	* I can log in as a local user, created by root
>> 	* Both the local user and root can log in using GDM (root, after
>> editing pam.d/gdm)
>> 	* I can log in with an LDAP account using SSH.
>> 	* I can log in with an LDAP account into a terminal on the computer
>> 	* When I go into runlevel 3 with "init 3" from a root account on a
>> terminal, and log in as a user on another terminal, I can start X11 with
>> the "startx" command.
>>
>> When I attempt to login using an LDAP account, here is the behaviour
>> that I get:
>> I click "other", enter my username, enter my password.   The busy cursor
>> appears, and then the screen blacks out and returns me back to my login
>> screen.
>>
>> I figure there is something weird going on with GDM.
>>
>> Unfortunately, GDM is being coy with any possible errors, and, even when
>> I set debug=true in /etc/gdm/custom.conf I get a plethora of debugging
>> messages, none of which seem to hint to any errors.  I can attach
>> /etc/messages to an email if requested but I cannot see any errors.
>>
>> Here is what "id ctooley" returns when I run it as root btw:
>>
>> [root@heplw44 gdm]# id ctooley
>> uid=110233(ctooley) gid=110233 groups=110233,34244(hep)
>>
>> Any clues in this would be immensely appreciated :)
>> Thanks!
>> -Chris Tooley
>>

> Did this work under SL 6.0?
>
> -Connie Sieh

Well, the thing is, I don't know, because there was a separate problem
which plagued SSSD versions lower than 1.4, to do with groups - so I
never tried logging in with gdm...

I have a separate LDAP server which I will try on Monday to see if it's
something with the LDAP server or just my configuration.

Thanks,
-Chris