SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2011

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jun 2011 07:53:23 -0400
On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 12:46 AM, Dr Andrew C Aitchison
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Jun 2011, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 12:13 PM, Dr Andrew C Aitchison
>> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Sorry to be a pain, but should I expect Java 6u26 (Sun/Oracle)
>>> updates for java-1.6.0-sun-compat and jdk or do I now need to
>>> download direct from Oracle ?
>>>
>>> These would replace
>>> java-1.6.0-sun-compat1.6.0.24-3.sl5.jpp.i586.rpm
>>> jdk1.6.0_24-fcs.i586.rpm
>>> and 64bit equivalents.
>

>> I used to update these over at JPackage. I gave up, on the grounds
>> that RHEL 6 and its rebuilds rely on OpenJDK, Red Hat has gotten
>> squarely behind OpenJDK, and Oracle *bought Sun* and is tring to
>> itself support OpenJDK. So there's very little point to it anymore in
>> the development or stable environment world.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Unfortunately that doesn't really address the point I was trying to make.
>
> Until about SL5.5, SL (but not RHEL) included an rpm which worked
> in browsers. I know Troy has to fiddle a bit to sign the i386 package
> and could not sign the x86_64, but it was very convenient for at
> least this user.
>
> What I'm trying to ask is; will SL5 continue to include an rpm
> which provides java for browsers ?
> I don't remember Troy or anyone else saying one way or the other.
>
> Thanks again.

Does the one over at JPackage work for you? Because it is a "non-free"
package, i.e. cooperating with Sun's old licensing, It's a .nosrc.rpm,
but you could build it and test it. There's also a fiddly bit in the
jpackage-utils-compat that keeps trying to yank in older, gcj based
components, that I publshed a .spec to resolve for RHEL 5.x based
operating systems. Would you like a copy?

If so, that's relatively easy to update: I just no longer have release
5.x boxes to test such components on, but I've got the .spec files and
the patches for anyone who wants them.