SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2011

From:
Chris Tooley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Tooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jun 2011 16:46:18 -0700
On 11-06-09 7:40 AM, Brett Viren wrote:
> Chris Tooley<[log in to unmask]>  writes:
>
>> See, that's weird though, because I can log in fine with SSH
>
> Are SSH and GDM using the same PAM stack?  For that matter, is SSH even
> using PAM?
>
> -Brett.

I don't think they're using the same PAM stack, but ssh is definitely
using PAM - and they're both using the same system-auth stack.  What I
don't know is how gdm handles authentication with PAM.

However, I do know that X11 works just fine, same thing with login on SSH:
I can set "init 3" as root, then log in on a different TTY and "startx"
works. The problem must be gdm, but I don't know how I would debug this...

Any hints from anyone?

Thanks,
-Chris