SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2011

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jun 2011 19:21:29 -0400
On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 9:30 AM, James Holland <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On 07/06/11 19:15, Konstantin Olchanski wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 07, 2011 at 01:44:05PM -0400, Lamar Owen wrote:
>>>
>>> ... The GUI network config tools are all for NetworkManager in upstream
>>> EL6.
>>>

>> Hmm... I am blind and I do not see any GUI tools for the NetworkManager.
>> What am I supposed
>> to use? (I do see the desktop applet, but I cannot use it unless I am
>> standing in front
>> of the computer logged in as a root user. A neat trick, if the computer is
>> in Japan
>> and I am in Vancouver).
>
> The worrying thing for me is when I installed it ifcfg-eth0 was disabled
> onboot leaving it to me to enable it in networkmanager. Not very useful for
> a remote install...

The curses based, text compatible system-config-network needs
everything a typical desktop or server needs. It lacks some of the
foofiness of NetworkManager, but that's both unnecessary and dangerous
on a stable desktop or server, as we've seen happen repeatedly for new
installations of RHEL based systems over the last 5 years or so.