SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

June 2011

From:
R P Herrold <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
R P Herrold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jun 2011 06:28:41 -0400
On Wed, 29 Jun 2011, Steven Haigh wrote:

>> which has the kernel, presently a:
>> kernel-2.6.32-71.29.1.el6.xendom0.src.rpm

> From what I understand, and I'm happy to be corrected here if I'm wrong, the
> kernels mayoung does are the RHEL kernel with specific Xen patches applied. I
> believe this is different to the xen kernel at
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jeremy/xen.git

Prolly different, but as I recall you were having .spec file
and build issues at the start.  Packaging the kernel is one of
the more difficult packaging exercises because of the
profusion of options one may choose to select, modularize, or
omit, and then also apply or not both backported patches and
local fork patches

Last time I heard a number bandied about, there were in excess
of thirty folks on Red Hat's kernel team, so a single person
coming to packaging might do well to 'crib' from the work of
another at the start

> It also seems to lag behind somewhat. The current EL6 kernel is
> 2.6.32-131.2.1, whereas mayoung has only patched up until 2.6.32-71.29.1 as
> you rightly posted.

As you don't indicate what ill effect of lagging behind is in
play, I cannot evaluate what you are concerned about, of
course.  The latest is not always the greatest.  Sometimes it
is just a later version with new bugs to bite.

That said, pluging in a new tarball, and commenting out
non-desired or non-applying patches in a .spec file is
straightforward enough, once building issues are solved.

-- Russ herrold