SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

June 2011

From:
Shawn Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Shawn Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jun 2011 09:40:46 -0600
Okay, this is a little important, so read carefully:

Andrew Cutler (a person I noticed on Twitter, I had emailed, and
surprisingly responded) has proposed the formation of a  community
consortium to help develop a common "meta-distribution" for
community-based EL products, which could most likely also serve as a
distribution of its own. Such a consortium would have a governance
model modeled on those of Debian (a meritocracy with an elected
board), a level of accountability that is currently lacking in another
popular distribution (which for the purposes of this message, will not
be named. since it'd be like a drop of blood dropped in a pool of
piranhas), and an infrastructure for building (packages. patches,
ISO's) and communication (web site, wiki, mailing lists, forum, bug
tracker, Koji and Bodhi?)

The key goals of this will be to "[put] in place the necessary
framework to ensure a healthy generic RHEL eco-system", and to reduce
the fragmentation/duplicated effort. Such a project could benefit us
all, from Scientific, ClearOS, and even Oracle (according to him)

Now, the best part of this plan, is that we already have some support.
From the people he's discussed this with, the support has been quite
positive. OrionVM (an Australian cloud service provider) has also
supported this intuitive, and will be able to provide it with hosting
facilities. He also runs a consulting company in the country, Adlibre,
which would also be able to provide resources.

So, here comes the real question. I'm not calling this a Yes or
No/Life or Death, question just yet. I'm not trying to call a
referendum on the same scale as Quebec trying to split from Canada
(which was a ''really'' close vote the last time they tried to do so);
would our community support participating in such a consortium? If we
did, I could just see a nice shiny board member seat with Troy's name
on it.

Sincerely
~Shawn