SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

June 2011

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jun 2011 09:11:45 -0500
On 06/26/2011 11:07 PM, Shawn Thompson wrote:
> I'd like to add some additional emphasis on how SL is "like RHEL, but
> still not exactly like it" with some final tweak proposals
>
> 1. While this has been already done, I do applaud the disabling of
> hiddenmenu on GRUB, good call there.

Give the thanks to RedHat, cuz I didn't do it.

> 2. Add the Cantarell font to the main repository. The logo uses it, so
> it'd be pretty ironic if it weren't included.

Sounds good to me if the license it ok.  We want SL6 to be self build-able.
Where did you get it from?

> 3. Make the default font on GNOME also be Cantarell. While it is the
> GNOME 3.0 font, it would give us a rather unique look as opposed to
> the other EL spins out there. Perhaps in the installer too.

Sorry, but I'm going to say no to this.  We want users to be able to
jump from RHEL to SL to CentOS without problems.  Changing graphics
isn't anything major, but changing the default font affects alot of things.

> 4. I think we've missed some traces of folder names referencing
> Company Which Must Not Me Named in some packages (like redhat-logos
> and the KDE part especially ... why is one of the KDE icon themes
> "Fedora"?), http://wiki.centos.org/QaWiki/6/AuditStatus can provide
> some clues on that

We have never tried to obliterate every RHEL instance from the release.
We have removed everything that we legally need to.
We have changed everything that your average user is going to see that
might make them think SL is from RedHat, or that they can go to RedHat
for support for SL.
Beyond that, I have to ask why?

> 5. Update the screenshots in the installation tutorial, cause
> obviously some stuff has changed

I was going to wait to do this after the final release.  Just incase
some of the different pictures change before the final.

> 6. Maybe we could use a "release banner" and other promotional stuff
> for the release (like
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/PromoBanners#Fedora_12_.22Unite..22
> )
>
> ~Shawn

Sounds good to me.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/SCF/FEF/SLSMS Group