SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

June 2011

From:
Akemi Yagi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Akemi Yagi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Jun 2011 14:42:10 -0700
On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 10:39 AM, Shawn Thompson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 10:14 AM, Akemi Yagi <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> The new artwork by Shawn Thompson is really nice. I have one [minor]
>> request.  The current background image is in a widescreen format.
>> Although it is common nowadays, it would be nice if the "traditional"
>> 4:3 format is also made available.
>>
>> Akemi

> Actually, its got ''practically every resolution imaginable'', through
> some XML-based voodoo in the GNOME system it picks the correct size
> for your monitor.

Below is what I see in KDE under SL 6.1 Alpha2. I set the screen size
to 1280x1024 (1.25ratio) for testing.

This is what it looked like.  The 'nucleus' part is out of sight
(actually both sides are cut off).

http://linux.toracat.org/SL/misc/background/125desktop-noscale.jpg

If I scale it to see the whole image:

http://linux.toracat.org/SL/misc/background/125desktop-scaled.jpg

it becomes elongated vertically.  If I scale it in the proportional
mode, then I get blank space at the top and the bottom.

With (most of) the images available from the menu, I did not see this
behavior. So, the 'XML-based voodoo' seems to be working.  Any idea
how to get it to work for the SL image?

Akemi