SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

June 2011

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jun 2011 13:44:14 -0500
On 06/13/2011 11:06 PM, Steven Haigh wrote:
> On 14/06/2011 9:33 AM, Shawn Thompson wrote:
>> There's already a bunch of "contrib" repositories for EL packages
>> (repoforge, atrpms, etc), maybe talk to them?
>
> I was thinking about this - but a properly working Xen configuration
> requires a new kernel RPM. I was looking at packaging the kernel as -
> say - kernel-dom0-whatever and including that.
>
> I believe the policy of other repos do not accept kernel RPMs. I am
> happy to be corrected if this is not correct!

For SL6 we have moved away from having our own contrib repository.
We're trying to keep it that way by utilizing the EPEL, rpmforge, elrepo
and atrpms repositories.  But that doesn't mean you cannot setup your
own repository and tell people about it.

As far as I know, none of the other repo's have kernels in them, other
that elrepo, which has one along with very strong warnings that the
kernel is not supported.

I believe one of the reasons why these repo's do not have kernels is
because of the commitment.
The kernel is a very complicated package, constantly changing, needing
security and bug fixes.
Scientific Linux is also a long term enterprise release, each major
release lasts 7 years.
To maintain a kernel in a repo means you have to deal with security and
bug fixes for 6 to 7 years.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/SCF/FEF/SLSMS Group