SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2011

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 May 2011 10:29:32 -0500
Hello,
I'm am sending this email to hopefully answer several questions that
always come up when RedHat releases a new release.  For those longtime
SL users, this should sound familiar.

Q: When will SL 6.1 be released?
A1: When it is ready.
A2: For minor releases, we have consistently been able to release in two
months.  If nothing major goes wrong, expect SL 6.1 at the end of July
or early August.

Q: When will normal SL 6 security errata be released?
A1: When they are ready.
A2: Really, when they are ready.  We are currently downloading and
building the packages right now.  But these new security errata need to
go through much more testing than the previous errata, so they will not
be released in our normal 24 hour schedule.  But, we will not hold them
until SL 6.1 is released either.
I would expect for SL 6 security errata to start being released at the
end of next week.  It will not be all at once.  It will be as packages
pass the various tests.

Q: When will the kernel that was released with RHEL 6.1 be released as a
security errata kernel?
A: It's possible that we won't release kernel-2.6.32-131.0.15.el6, at
least not for general security errata.
The reason is because the first kernel that comes out with a Minor
release usually causes more problems for older releases than it fixes.
If there is a major security issue and/or nobody finds any update
problems, it's possible that we will release the kernel for general
security errata.  But the odds are that RedHat will release a new kernel
before that happens.

Thanks
Troy Dawson
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/SCF/FEF/SLSMS Group