SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2011

From:
Dag Wieers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dag Wieers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 May 2011 12:05:00 +0200
On Wed, 18 May 2011, Akemi Yagi wrote:

> On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 8:53 AM, Orion Poplawski <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>>> RPMforge now offers two repos - [rpmforge] and [rpmforge-extras].
>>> Packages in [rpmforge] will not have conflict with the distro ones
>>> whereas those in [rpmforge-extras] may overwrite distro files.
>>
>> AH yes, forgot about that.  I guess the packages it is wanting to replace on
>> my machine mostly come from EPEL, not the SL repositories.
>>
>> But there is one:
>>
>> # yum list environment-modules
>> Loaded plugins: downloadonly
>> Installed Packages
>> environment-modules.x86_64     3.2.7b-6.el6
>> @anaconda-ScientificLinux-201102250955.x86_64
>> Available Packages
>> environment-modules.x86_64     3.2.8a-1.el6.rf     rpmforge
>
> That one must have been missed. I will let Dag know. Thanks for reporting.

Yes, thanks for reporting !

I fixed it yesterday by moving this package to RPMforge-extras. When we
started building RHEL6 packages last year, we did a large effort to find
those duplicate packages, also for older distributions. The
environment-modules RPM is a newly introduced package (I presume for RHEL5
only) and we obviously did not verify if it was already in RHEL6.

There's more than one issue here:

  - if a package is introduced for RHEL5, we need to check if it is needed
    for RHEL6 and if there's a need to have a different version there.

  - we should avoid releasing a newer package in RHEL5 than is available in
    upstream RHEL6. It's often better to backport the RHEL6 package to
    RHEL5.

  - we need a (preferably) automated check to avoid this in the future. It
    would be nice if the packager could easily check before doing any
    effort at all, but as a last resort the buildsystem should refuse by
    default. (It's easier to automate on the buildsystem side as a DAR
    plugin, even when it's still bash :-/)

So I am sorry for this mishap, I hope we can avoid it in the future.

--
-- dag wieers, [log in to unmask], http://dag.wieers.com/
-- dagit linux solutions, [log in to unmask], http://dagit.net/