SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2011

From:
Sergio Ballestrero <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sergio Ballestrero <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 May 2011 22:41:19 +0200
On 18 May 2011, at 18:00, Dr Andrew C Aitchison wrote:

> On Wed, 18 May 2011, Orion Poplawski wrote:
>
>> On 04/13/2011 02:00 PM, Phil Schaffner wrote:
>>> Personally ELRepo and RPMforge are my first choices, and I find Adobe is
>>> pretty safe. If I can't find what I'm looking for there I will venture (with
>>> extra caution) to EPEL and finally ATrpms.
>>> Phil
>>
>> Just curious - why do you feel the need to treat EPEL with extra caution?  I happen to have reversed feeling about EPEL/RPMforge.  I note that out of the box RPMforge will replace some system packages (perhaps without any problems), something EPEL avoids.
>
> I believe that RPMForge does not do this in SL6 - they have split
> there stuff into two repos - rpmforge and rpmforge-extras
> one which updates existing SL packages and one with only new packages.

This is good news indeed.
In any case, there is always the option of using the yum-protectbase and/or yum-priorities plugins to prevent external repos from overriding the "core OS" ones.

Cheers,
  Sergio

--
 Sergio Ballestrero  - http://physics.uj.ac.za/psiwiki/Ballestrero
 University of Johannesburg, Physics Department