SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2011

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 May 2011 11:59:14 -0400
On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 10:48 AM, Chuck Munro <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Now I'm beginning to think I might migrate many of my current CentOS
> machines to SL as they come up for replacement or upgrade to v6.

It should be fairly easy: the interwoven rhn bits from RHEL are
already gracefully replaced in both OS's. But as someone who's done
various migrations, I urge you to back up your old system and do clean
rebuilds with SL 6, wherever possible. The reasons are individually
small, but numerous. Clean new configuration files to work from, uid
and gid numbering and memberships that match the latest specs rather
than being inherited from a previous base install, the discarding of
packages that used to fulfill dependencies but are no longer needed, a
chance to review your partitioning and select ext4 for your
filesystems, etc. all add up.