SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2011

From:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 May 2011 08:23:28 -0500
David,

This sounds like a job for a terminal server (RS232 over IP).  They are
very common and easy to work with.  In fact, I'll be on your campus for
the next 2 weeks (flying in Sunday) to help install an accelerator that
is being moved.  Part of the installation includes such a device.  I'd
be happy to meet up and show it to you along with code.  Our control
system software is written so that you can open a direct device (serial)
connection or a TCP/IP connection with a simple command line argument.
This results in minimal code changes.

If you are interested in meeting or want more detailed information, we
can take it off-list.  My contact at Vanderbilt is Mike McCurdy, 410
24th Ave S.

Cheers,
Mark

--