SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2011

From:
Mathew Maher <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mathew Maher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 May 2011 11:21:13 +0100
Hello Charles,

MRG is a redhat product for Messaging/Realtime/Grid. They've packaged all this together for use with financial applications, but its only the realtime bit which has most use for scientific applications (possibly messaging).

SL5 distros are here:
http://glitesoft.cern.ch/cern/mrg/slc5X/i386/RPMS/repoview/mrg-realtime.group.html

We manually patched CentOS 5 with the realtime kernel (i.e. without this RPM) and did some speed trials. Generally, it works very well, although not 100% deterministic/guaranteed.

The trial machine was a dual Xeon X5550 2.66GHz (8 CPU cores). Without the RT kernel, we averaged 1ms thread wakeup/latency. With the RT kernel, this dropped to typical 5uS latency, but with occasional 'spikes' up to 60uS. I suspect these spikes are due to the processors NMI/SSI interrupts kicking in, which there is little the kernel can do about.

The real killer test was running again with Hyperthreading enabled. This gives a total 16 virtual CPU's. Without RT, latency was 1.04mS. With RT this dropped to 8uS average, but spiking up to 134uS.

Mat