SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2011

From:
Bluejay Adametz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bluejay Adametz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 May 2011 08:16:24 -0400
 > I have a question about licences.
> >
> > I have just read in FAQ question that SL has a GPL license. Do anybody
> > know witch version of license is? 1, 2 or 3?
>
> I think this is depending on which package you are asking for. The Linux
> Kernel itself e.g. is GPLv2 only.

Indeed, if you query the packages, rpm will show you the license
information (and they're not all the same):

$ rpm -qi coreutils
Name        : coreutils                    Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 8.4                               Vendor: Scientific Linux
Release     : 9.el6                         Build Date: Wed 24 Nov
2010 05:54:05 PM EST
Install Date: Tue 10 May 2011 10:03:59 AM EDT      Build Host: sl6.fnal.gov
Group       : System Environment/Base       Source RPM:
coreutils-8.4-9.el6.src.rpm
Size        : 12626757                         License: GPLv3+
<=========================*
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Thu 25 Nov 2010 01:07:39 PM EST, Key ID b0b4183f192a7d7d
Packager    : Koji
URL         : http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/
Summary     : A set of basic GNU tools commonly used in shell scripts
Description :
These are the GNU core utilities.  This package is the combination of
the old GNU fileutils, sh-utils, and textutils packages.

$ rpm -qi kernel
Name        : kernel                       Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 2.6.32                            Vendor: Scientific Linux
Release     : 71.24.1.el6                   Build Date: Fri 08 Apr
2011 02:46:56 AM EDT
Install Date: Tue 10 May 2011 03:06:45 PM EDT      Build Host: sl6.fnal.gov
Group       : System Environment/Kernel     Source RPM:
kernel-2.6.32-71.24.1.el6.src.rpm
Size        : 89548610                         License: GPLv2
<============================*
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Fri 08 Apr 2011 03:46:59 PM EDT, Key ID b0b4183f192a7d7d
Packager    : Scientific Linux
URL         : http://www.kernel.org/
Summary     : The Linux kernel
Description :
The kernel package contains the Linux kernel (vmlinuz), the core of any
Linux operating system.  The kernel handles the basic functions
of the operating system: memory allocation, process allocation, device
input and output, etc.
$

                                                         - Bluejay Adametz

"As long as you keep a person down, some part of you has to be down
there to hold him down, so it means you cannot soar as you otherwise
might." - Marian Anderson
NOTICE: This message, including any attachments, is only for the use of
information, or information otherwise protected from disclosure by law.
hereby notified that any use, disclosure, copying, dissemination or
distribution of this message or any of its attachments is strictly
prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please contact the
sender immediately by reply email and destroy this message, including all
attachments, and any copies thereof.