SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2011

From:
Chris Tooley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Tooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 May 2011 17:35:13 -0700
> I respect your opinion about virtualbox Chris, but virtualbox best than
> vmware?? Absolutely not. It's free, yes but is worst in most aspects
> than vmware.

Please note I said "as good if not better".  In my experience with
vmware and virtualbox, I have had more issues with vmware than with
virtualbox.  Again, YMMV - and clearly you've had better experience with
vmware than virtualbox - that's cool with me :)

> For example, under vmware you can run ANY operating system that runs on
> i386 platforms with more performance than virtualbox (included
> unsupported operated systems), with virtualbox not.

Mac OSX runs on vmware now? ;) I joke!

Well, as for compatibility with guest OSes:
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Guest_OSes

It's not a whole lot of systems that don't run on VirtualBox. Generally
I use VirtualBox for windows XP and linux systems I wish to try out for
curiosity's sake.  For these purposes, virtualbox works amazingly well
for free software :)

  Also, I would think performance is a moot point when it comes to
Virtual Machines, particularly if you are using something like
virtualbox (or whatever vmware's equivalent is.. vmware player?).

> And about using USB passthrought and 3D support. I don't know which type
> of problems do you have got with vmware, but I have a Windows 7
> installed with this feautures and it is fast and simple to configure
> under vmware.

I'm not doubting it is. :)  I simply wanted to give voice to an open
source alternative to vmware.

-Chris