SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2011

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 May 2011 21:44:36 -0400
On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 12:36 PM, Todd And Margo Chester
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On 05/31/2011 05:12 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 1:03 AM, Todd And Margo Chester
>> <[log in to unmask]>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I ask the guys over at
>>>
>>>     http://rpm.pbone.net/
>>>
>>> to add a line for FC14, FC15, RHEL6, and SL6 over on
>>> their advanced search and they actually did.
>>>
>>> Now we can search for SL6 and RHEL6 specific
>>> RPMS at pbone.  Very cool.
>>>
>>> -T
>>
>> Thanks very much indeed. I do some testing with FC15, now that it's out.
>>
> You guys are all welcome!  Thank you for noticing.  :-)
>
> Nico,
>
> FC15 changed their network adapter naming convention.  See:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ConsistentNetworkDeviceNaming
>
> And, they substituted "nm-connection-editor" for "system-config-network".
> My eth0 became p2p1.  "ifconfig -a" will show the new names.  (We will
> probably see these changes in EL sometime soon.)

This is not likely. This would be a substantial change to the most
basic configuration tools on the installation media and their default
interfaces. I would not expect to see a feature like that in an RHEL
release, and thus in SL, until after  all the kinks are worked out of
it in Fedora, and RHEL 7 and thus SL 7 is released.