SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2011

From:
Dag Wieers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dag Wieers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jun 2011 03:20:23 +0200
On Tue, 31 May 2011, Werf, C.G. van der (Carel) wrote:

> In my opinion you should NEVER use NTPD in a virtual machine.....
>
> Check out how NTPD works... it tries to adjust "software cycles"to "hardware cycles".
>
> "Hardware cycles" are a bit undefined in a virtual machine.

It keeps the (virtual) system clock in sync with an external source. This
works better than using a timer interrupt, especially when the hypervisor
cannot commit to a certain interrupts per second. (Which used to be a
problem eg when HZ set to 1000 in VMs)

Using ntpd is definitely a best practice we have been using even before
VMware recommended it. We had more troubles with VMware's host-guest
synchronization. You just have the configure ntpd correctly.

--
-- dag wieers, [log in to unmask], http://dag.wieers.com/
-- dagit linux solutions, [log in to unmask], http://dagit.net/