SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2011

From:
Lamar Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lamar Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 May 2011 16:56:20 -0400
On Wednesday, May 25, 2011 05:00:47 PM you wrote:
> No array's at all. I did attempt RAID 1 and RAID 0 on Windows and Linux only
> to find out it doesn't work and undo all changes. Still linux keeps saying
> my disks belong to some king of RAID. Something in the MBR, maybe?

Different controllers put their metadata in different places; dmraid knows how to deal with most of them.  To remove the metadata, use dmraid -x (may be destructive to data depending upon controller!) or zero the whole drive, expecially the whole first  cylinder-equivalent (since all drives are zoned these days, it's emulated cylinder 0) and the last cylinder-equivalent.  Lots of controllers use the last one or two blocks on the disk for the metadata.