SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2011

From:
Phil Schaffner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Phil Schaffner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 May 2011 17:56:55 -0400
Jean-Paul Chaput wrote on 05/26/2011 12:11 PM:
> Hi,

Please reply to the list.

> Well, I'm not familiar with the Koji tool, but from what I guess
> from it's documentation it's aimed to people that do build a whole
> distribution. With nice cooperating features and reporting.

Koki is a higher-level tool that uses mock.  It is used to build Fedora
and I think SL.  I'm still trying to get familiar with it.

> The goal of my tool is somewhat different (and simpler). It is to
> automate the porting of packages from another distribution to the one
> I'm using (say import from Fedora Core 14 to SL6).
>
> It works with the following steps:
>
> 1. - Pull the desired (and latest) SRPMS from the foreign source
>      repository (ex: Fedora Core 14)
> 2. - Analyse dependencies. If some are missing, pull/rebuild them
>      using 1.
> 3. - Build the package.
> 4. - Add the package to a local repository (and rebuild it
>      automatically).
> The you can deploy the new package.
>
> I hope I haven't reinvented the weel :-)

Parts of that certainly sound a lot like mock but others seem to go
beyond it, with the apparently iterative capability, and adding to a
repo; which koji does.

> I've also a tool to perform what I call "strict-synchronisation".
> Yum is not able to remove packages once they are installed, it can
> only upgrade or downgrade them. Removing, by package or group is an
> explicit operation. I wanted all the computers of my networks to
> stick exactly on a set of packages (one set for servers, one set for
> desktop and so on). So I'm now able to maintain exactly the same
> set of packages on every computer. It's also useful if you want to
> remove one on every machine.

Sounds interesting.

Phil