SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2011

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 May 2011 09:37:50 -0500
On 05/26/2011 08:29 AM, Zack Yovel wrote:

> 2011/5/26 Phong Nguyen <[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
>

>     On 25 May 2011, at 1557, Zack Yovel wrote:
>      >
>      > Funny, the reason I need windows is virtualization. I have tons
>     of Hyper-V machines that I need for a course I take, and from what
>     I've seen QEMU/KVM are missing 'revert snapshot'-like feature which
>     is extremely important to me. Tried using these VHD's in Virtualbox,
>     It's doesn't work really good. so for now, windows host should stay.
>
>     If you're going to be using Hyper-V (either in bare-metal or full
>     Windows Server mode) will you need to bother with dual-booting? Why
>     not just run Linux virtualized?
>
>     - Phong
>

> 1. Hyper-V does not support RHEL. The only linux distro it supports is SUSE.

I'm not quite sure where you read that, but according to RedHat it does
http://www.redhat.com/promo/svvp/

I also know of a couple of places that have to use Hyper-V for their
virtualization infrastructure, and they are running SL5.

I have no comment on performance, I just know that it runs.

Troy

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/SCF/FEF/SLSMS Group