SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2011

From:
Florian Philipp <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Florian Philipp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 May 2011 21:03:32 +0200
Am 25.05.2011 19:30, schrieb Adrian Sevcenco:
> On 05/25/2011 04:12 PM, Zack Yovel wrote:
[...]
>> I want raid 0 for the speed. MB raid wont give my any speed? maby, but
>> I'd like to see it with my own eyes...
> you can set a test configuration : 1 small hdd with operating system (or
> 2 dual boot OS) and 2 hdds to be used in raid .. just try the desired
> configurations both wind and linux and see how it goes .. and maybe you
> post on the list the results of benchmarks.. it is an interesting study

While I support the idea of using a benchmark, I doubt there is one
which mimics the actual use case (though I don't know the use case to
begin with). Most likely, any benchmark will just raise new questions
about it validity instead of resolving the current questions.

>> So you say there is no sane solution for this situation (or none that
>> you know about?) fine, that answeres my question.
> the problem is with dual boot situation .. you cannot expect that a raid
> made by linux to be recognized by windows (the reverse could happen but
> i don't know this for sure)
>
>> I can see you guys really don't like what I'm doing. You don't have to.
> is not that someone don't like you're doing.. it is the experience of
> most people from the list. at worst your ideas can one cringe trembling
> with the thought at own past experiences :D
> So good luck and share the results .. they will become another reference
> for others that will try your ideas.
>
> Adrian

I still believe the best solution is to abandon dual booting (the only
reason not to use software RAID) and just use a virtualization
technology. It's no rocket science, has less performance issues than
onboard RAID and is more reasonable than rebooting to switch the OS.

Regards,
Florian Philipp