SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2011

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 May 2011 09:42:45 -0500
On 05/25/2011 02:31 AM, Marc Muehlfeld wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we're currently evaluating a migration from Centos 5 to SL6. But I have some
> questions about repositories:
>
> We have a local repository were our servers get their updates from. But I'm
> unsure, what I exaclty have to mirror. On the FTP there are the following
> directories:
>
> - 6
> - 6.0
> - 6rolling
> - 6x
>
> Question 1: What are the differences?

6.0 - Version 6.0 of SL
6x - Points to the latest SL6 release, currently 6.0
6 - Same as 6x
6rolling - Rolling as in unstable.  This is where we put the Alpha, Beta
and testing releases.

> Question 2: The default *.repo uses the $releasever variable, which is
> resolved to "6.0". If we plan to always have the newest (minor) version after
> every update, I think I have to replace that. Is there an other variable for
> that or do I have to hardcode it?

There are two ways to do this.
1 - Hardcode it to point to 6x or 6
(Will have to do this after each update)
2 - yum install yum-conf-sl6x
(This installs another yum yum repository that points to 6x.  Because it
is separate from sl-release, it can remain constant what the sl-release
is updated.)

> Question 3: Do I have to block any package that would recreate the SL repo
> files after an upgrade?

Not if you do the yum-conf-sl6x route.

Hope this helps.
Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/SCF/FEF/SLSMS Group