SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2011

Date:
Wed, 25 May 2011 09:23:13 -0400
On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 7:05 AM, Florian Philipp <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Am 25.05.2011 12:45, schrieb Zack Yovel:
>> 2011/5/25 Florian Philipp <[log in to unmask]
>> <mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
>>     Am 25.05.2011 07:29, schrieb Zack Yovel:
>>     > Install SL6 on RAID 0 on GA-890GPA-UD3H (chipset: AMD SB850 )
>>     >
>>     > Does anyone know of a raid driver for this motherboard or chipset?
>>
>>     Any particular reason why you invest effort in using the onboard RAID
>>     instead of just using software raid (md subsystem instead of dm)?
>>     Onboard RAID gives you negligible or even negative performance gains and
>>     locks you in on their disk format.
>>
>>     Regards,
>>     Florian Philipp
>>
>> I almost feel like I do something wrong :)
>> I want onboard RAID because I want everything raided and I plan a
>> dual-boot with windows server. I believe software RAID of either linux
>> or windows will make it impossible to install the other system on the
>> raided partitions. I would create half of the storage raided in linux
>> and half in windows, but at least windows raid requires converting the
>> hole two disks to dinamic, which will prevent my from installing any
>> other OS on either of them.
>>
>> In short - I have two disks, I want them both on raid 0, and I want
>> dual-boot with windows.
>> If hardware RAID isn't the best solution for this, I'll be happy to
>> learn of another one..
>
> Well, in that case, onboard RAID really is your only option unless you
> a) invest money in a real hardware RAID controller
> b) replace dual-booting with virtualization
>
>> Excuse my noobish questions, but what do you mean by "md subsystem
>> instead of dm" and by "locks you in on their disk format"? are you
>> talking about MBR vs. GPT?
>
> MD is the kernel subsystem for software RAID. Device mapper (or dm) is
> used for onboard RAID, among other things. In the kernel, they use the
> same code-base but their interfaces and purposes are different.

You can use mdraid/mdadm to control dmraid/biosraid/fakeraid using
"container" in mdadm.conf (I've never done so but know that it's
possible). So if you have to dual-boot Windows and SL and are using
bios-/fake-raid on the Windows side, you have to use bios-/fake-raid
on the SL side.

Whether you use dmraid or mdadm to manage the array, you still need
the appropriate dmraid driver. If the SL CD/DVD isn't detecting your
dmraid, I'd suggest that you boot from an Ubuntu Live CD, find out how
it's detecting and assembling the dmraid (since 10.10, these CDs have
had pretty aggressive dmraid capabilities and you users are asking how
to disable the detection in order not to use dmraid at install time),
and find and use the SL equivalent.