SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2011

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 May 2011 08:13:00 -0400
On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 3:31 AM, Marc Muehlfeld
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we're currently evaluating a migration from Centos 5 to SL6. But I have some
> questions about repositories:
>
> We have a local repository were our servers get their updates from. But I'm
> unsure, what I exaclty have to mirror. On the FTP there are the following
> directories:
>
> - 6
> - 6.0
> - 6rolling
> - 6x
>
> Question 1: What are the differences?
>
> Question 2: The default *.repo uses the $releasever variable, which is
> resolved to "6.0". If we plan to always have the newest (minor) version
> after every update, I think I have to replace that. Is there an other
> variable for that or do I have to hardcode it?
>
> Question 3: Do I have to block any package that would recreate the SL repo
> files after an upgrade?

Don't knock yourself out. Like RHEL and CentOS, if you simply continue
with updates, your "$releasever" will be updated automatically when SL
6.1 is released, and if you look inside the "6x" directory on an FTP
or rsync server, you'll see that it has symlinks to the "6" and "6x"
directories. you'll see that they have symlinks to the "6.0"
directory. Those will be updated when SL does a 6.1 release. The
effect is overall similar to, and more transparent than, what RHEL's
use of the "yum-rhn-plugin" does.

If you're setting up an internal mirror for whatever reason (which I
do for running "mock"), be sure to use rsync or ftp in order to
replicate the symlinks and save a *lot* of download and disk resource.