SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2011

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 May 2011 08:00:52 -0400
On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 7:42 AM, Zack Yovel <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> Zack Yovel writes:
>>
>>> « HTML content follows »
>>>

>>> Install SL6 on RAID 0 on GA-890GPA-UD3H (chipset: AMD SB850 )
>>>

>>> Does anyone know of a raid driver for this motherboard or chipset?
>>
>> Yes, it's called linux raid and it's probably 1000 times better/reliable
>> than that fake raid.
>>
>> --
>> Nux!
>> www.nux.ro
>
> I don't think I like your tone! so here's for you:
>
>> In short - I have two disks, I want them both on raid 0, and I want
>> dual-boot with windows.
>
> I'd appriciate it if you'd assume that I know about the obviouse, and that I
> ask a specific question for a reason...

Not everyone who asks actually knows the issues, and you're facing
conflicting requirements. I assume you're using modern, bulky, SATA
drives and want to use the onboard "I'm not really RAID, I just play
one on TV" controller on that motherboard? And that you're aware of
the awkwardness of setting aside an accessible "/boot" partition to
boot with that does not require the software RAID drivers? And can we
safely assume that you do *NOT* need the RAID0 for your Windows setup?

If these are the case, I'm going to urge you to spend $30 on Ebay and
save yourself a lot of awkward support time and buy a real SATA RAID
card. I just went through this mess with OpenBSD and have been through
it with Linux before: it's pesky, and I've dealt with people insisting
that they really wanted their 40 TB array as a single RAID set, and
dealing with the 16 TB limits of their 32-bit controllers, so I've
been through some of the issues.

What performance benefit are you expecting from RAID0 that justifies
your investment in effort? Is it just the very large partition size
available with merged, bulky partitions?