SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2011

From:
Florian Philipp <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Florian Philipp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 May 2011 13:05:06 +0200
Am 25.05.2011 12:45, schrieb Zack Yovel:

> 2011/5/25 Florian Philipp <[log in to unmask]
> <mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
>
>     Am 25.05.2011 07:29, schrieb Zack Yovel:
>     > Install SL6 on RAID 0 on GA-890GPA-UD3H (chipset: AMD SB850 )
>     >
>     > Does anyone know of a raid driver for this motherboard or chipset?
>
>     Any particular reason why you invest effort in using the onboard RAID
>     instead of just using software raid (md subsystem instead of dm)?
>     Onboard RAID gives you negligible or even negative performance gains and
>     locks you in on their disk format.
>
>     Regards,
>     Florian Philipp
>
> I almost feel like I do something wrong :)
> I want onboard RAID because I want everything raided and I plan a
> dual-boot with windows server. I believe software RAID of either linux
> or windows will make it impossible to install the other system on the
> raided partitions. I would create half of the storage raided in linux
> and half in windows, but at least windows raid requires converting the
> hole two disks to dinamic, which will prevent my from installing any
> other OS on either of them.
>
> In short - I have two disks, I want them both on raid 0, and I want
> dual-boot with windows.
> If hardware RAID isn't the best solution for this, I'll be happy to
> learn of another one..

Well, in that case, onboard RAID really is your only option unless you
a) invest money in a real hardware RAID controller
b) replace dual-booting with virtualization

> Excuse my noobish questions, but what do you mean by "md subsystem
> instead of dm" and by "locks you in on their disk format"? are you
> talking about MBR vs. GPT?

MD is the kernel subsystem for software RAID. Device mapper (or dm) is
used for onboard RAID, among other things. In the kernel, they use the
same code-base but their interfaces and purposes are different.

With "locking in on their disk format" I meant that with onboard RAID,
your chances are slim that you can move the disks to another PC and they
will be readable. With software RAID, every recent Linux system will be
able to access it and with _real_ hardware RAID, you can at least expect
to find compatible hardware and support for many years.

BTW: Please make sure to send your response to the mailing list, not my
personal address. And don't top-post, either. Put your response below
the quoted text (I moved your response manually to right place). This
makes reading long threads easier.

Hope this helps,
Florian Philipp