SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2011

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 May 2011 08:42:24 -0400
On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 1:46 AM, Garrett Holmstrom
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On 5/22/2011 22:38, Zack Yovel wrote:
>>
>> hi, I'm new to SL, and I want to add ntfs support. I have SL 6 installed
>> on my laptop, and I intend to install it on my desktop also.
>> so:
>> 1. What is the best way to add ntfs support to my running SL laptop?
>> 2. Is there a way to add ntfs support to the desktop as part of the
>> installation proccess?
>
> 1. Install ntfs-3g from EPEL.
> 2. If your goal is to install to a NTFS disk, no.  Otherwise you might be
> able to add the EPEL repository as part of the installation process and
> select it that way.

You need kernel modifications  that are not part of the default kernel
from upstream in able to write. NTFS also has a *lot* of options which
do not map to normal POSIX ownership and permissions: they're possible
to emulate, badly, with NFSv4 and other more sophisticated fileystem
toolkits, but *nothing* does one-to-one mapping between NTFS
permissions and *anything* else.

That said, over in CentOS, they used to publish kernels with the
modules built-in as part of the "centosplus" repository. It's a single
flag difference in the kernel configuraiton files: you could grab the
SRPM, edit the flags appropriately, and build the kernels for testing.