SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2011

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 May 2011 08:41:37 -0400
On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 1:45 AM, Natxo Asenjo <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 2:01 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 5:49 PM, Zoran Ovcin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>> On 05/16/2011 06:22 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>
>>> Is there a repository from which I can update Java?
>>
>> Rip it out and replace it with openjdk. You'll be using what both
>> Oracle and the upstream RHEL are collaborating on, and avoid a stack
>> of Java incompatibility issues. If you need the Sun version of Java,
>> you can grab RPM's from Oracle, but integration with older
>> RHEL/CentOs/SL releases was awkward dueo to various integration
>> components oriented around RHEL's particular rebundling of it for
>> commercial customers in the "optional" channels.
>
> In my daily experience, the openjdk does not correctly run lots of
> java(ws) apps I need to get my work done whereas the sun/oracle jre
> does. Maybe it is an app problem (probably, most developpers only test
> the oracle jre), but I stll need to get the job done :-) and install
> the 'official' oracle jre.

OpenJDK *is* the official open source Java release out of Sun, now
Oracle, with direct Red Hat involvement. So if you want future
compatibility, your Java developers and applications will need to
switch. I think you really need to support the switchover.

That said, you'll need to go directly to Oracle and manually grab
their "java-*-rpm.bin" packages and unpack those. For licensing
reasons, they are *not* available in yum compatibile repositories,
unless perhaps you set up one internally for your site and accept the
responsibility for the licensing personally.  You can also look at
http://www.jpackage.org/browser/rpm.php?jppversion=5.0&id=489: and
you're welcome to my .spec file updates: I've never successfully
gotten into the CVS "write" setup for that package: the more I think
about it, the more I'm scared of using CVS for that.