SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

May 2011

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 May 2011 08:41:14 -0500
On 05/16/2011 06:27 PM, Shawn Thompson wrote:
> I actually just realized that we may have not completely complied with
> upstream's policy on the removal of branding, since this time they've
> ''actually counted the wallpapers as part of their trade dress''. So, to
> make up for that, we're gonna need some additional wallpapers to fill
> the void.
>
> If we could forward around some requests to get some ''freely licensed''
> supplementary wallpapers done, that could be great.
>
> ~Shawn

Hi Shawn,
I believe we have complied with the upstreams trade dress policy.  Trade
dress is not the same as Trade Mark.

Trade Dress means that the initial presentation looks a certain way.  It
does not mean that other people can not use a certain font or layout or
background.  They just cannot use them as the default.

I have investigated the RedHat backgrounds.  They have no trademark.
 From my investigations, they are free to distribute.  If you have
uncovered a copyright or license I might have missed, please let me know.

If we do have to get rid of them, then it's very easy to do just that.
  Get rid of them.  We've already put in our own background and theme,
we only kept the other theme because people liked it.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/SCF/FEF/SLSMS Group