SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2011

From:
Hervé Riboulot <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2011 20:51:46 +0100
Le 21/02/2011 19:07, Arturo Fatturi a écrit :
> Hi sccientificlinux community.
>
> I am using SL5.5 x86_64 as a desktop that is connected to the web via
> external ADSL Modem aand I have a question about services running.
> Assuming that I have only a HP f4480 connected, LCD Mnitor Phillips and
> DVD/CDROM drive: Did I need all services running? I disable
> bluethooth.What other services can I disable and maintain
> performance/security?
> I have the following services running:
> acpi
> anacron
> atd
> auditd
> autofs
> avahi-daemon
> cpuspeed
> crond
> cups
> firdtboot
> gpm
> haldaemon
> hplip
> libasm
> ip6tables
> iptables
> irqbalance
> isdn
> jexec
> kudzu
> lm_sensors
> lvm2-monitor
> mctrans
> mdmonitor
> messagebus
> micrrocode_ctl
> netfs
> nfslock
> pcsd
> portmap
> rawdevices
> readahead_early
> readahead_later
> restorecond
> rpcgssd
> rpcidmap
> sendmail
> smartd
> sshd
> syslog
> yum
> yum-updatesd
>
> Thanks
>

> Arturo

Hello,

May I risk a platitude? The configuration is strictly depending on the
use of your PC.

I try a few comments here after:

acpi :  keep it Advanced energy management keep it
anacron: tasks scheduler (do you schedule services to be executed on your system?)
atd    : tasks scheduler (do you schedule services to be executed on your system?)
auditd :  Linux Auditing System Daemon, which collects security related events in a dedicated audit log. If this daemon is turned off, audit events will be sent to syslog. Requested by SELinux.  Do you configure SELinux?
autofs : keep it. To automatically mount devices / file systems
avahi-daemon : This is a daemon which runs on client machines to perform Zeroconf service discovery on a network. avahi-daemon must be running on systems that use Avahi for service discovery. Avahi-daemon should not be running otherwise.
cpuspeed: keep it (This script enables/disables processor frequency scaling support, either using the cpuspeed daemon or in-kernel frequency scaling support)
crond : tasks scheduler (do you plan services to be executed?)
cups : print management
firdtboot: to be disabled (is it the first run of your system?)
gpm : to use cut / paste
haldaemon : keep it
hplip : is a HP printer connected to your PC or network?
libasm :
ip6tables : firewall, keep it
iptables : firewall, keep it
irqbalance : The irqbalance daemon will distribute interrupts across the cpus on a multiprocessor system with the purpose of spreading the load (Intel Core 2 Duo, AMD X2). No impact on single processor
isdn : to be disabled (your access relies on an Adsl connexion)
jexec : keep it
kudzu : do you frequently change your configuration? If not, disable it
lm_sensors : to capture various information from hardware probes
lvm2-monitor : did you configure a Logical Volume on your system?
mctrans : requested bu SELinux
mdmonitor :  mdmonitor service checks the status of all software RAID arrays on the system. Does your system comprise Raid disks?
messagebus : keep it
micrrocode_ctl : keep it
netfs : do you Mount and unmount network filesystems?
nfslock: Mount and unmount network filesystems.
pcsd : to support smartcard.
portmap : no more use until NFS V4
rawdevices :
readahead_early: keep it  (to improve boot performance)
readahead_later : keep it  (to improve boot performance)
restorecond : requested by SELinux
rpcgssd :requested by Network File System
rpcidmap : requested by Network File System
sendmail : do you manage a mail server?
smartd : disks supervision
sshd : do you need ssh connection to your system?
syslog : keep it
yum : to automate the updates
yum-updatesd : to automate the updates

I hope it will help you tune your system ...

Best regards,