SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2011

From:
Matthias Schroeder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matthias Schroeder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2011 18:35:51 +0100
On 02/11/2011 06:00 PM, Larry Vaden wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 11:27 AM, Ewan Mac Mahon<[log in to unmask]>  wrote:
>> I'm a little bit hazy on the details, but there are some slides from the
>> meeting here[1]:
>>   http://indico.cern.ch/getFile.py/access?contribId=8&sessionId=1&resId=1&materialId=slides&confId=106641
> Troy,
>
> Ewan's URL says, in part:
>
> • 5.6 release history:
> – RedHat released RHEL 5.6 on 13-Jan
> – CERN released SLC 5.6 on 20-Jan
> – FNAL released SL 5.6 last week
> • CERN rolled out SLC 5.6 on desktops and central systems around 28-Jan
>
> Is this correct or incorrect?

That is a question of definition. For SLC, most of the packages that
make up SLC5.6 have been released, but the installer is still in
testing. In that state it is almost 5.6, but it is not yet called 5.6.
For SLC everything is 'rolling', the individual minor releases are not
maintained as such, so there is no way to stay with eg 5.3 and only get
security updates for it. That is a feature of SLC (watch for the 'C'!).

HTH,

Matthias