SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

February 2011

From:
Hubert Bahr <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2011 12:49:32 -0600
Bob
    Troy provides as an Install Dvd the same packages provided by Redhat
as it is a guaranteed install set.  He also provides an Everything 2 Dvd
set, that will be out later this weekend.  I doubt if anyone plans to
have a single periodic dvd that includes all updates especially when
point changes are provided by the USV about every 6 months.  These point
changes keep the needed updates to a manageable level.  Since it is now
about 6 months since the original USV release the number of updates is
significant, but the next point change will move those updates to the
new release install dvd at that time.  The Everything set may have all
updates, I personally haven't looked at it.  But it certainly provides a
lot more than the USV (Install + optionals + add ons).  The amount of
work to create an installable image is significant and updates appear at
least weekly so you could easily get swamped in just the maintenance of
a weekly release of an updated image.  So even the USV doesn't do it any
more often than about once every six months.  The installable single dvd
has things ordered properly so the install doesn't crash.  The
everything set had some problems that caused some installs to crash
leaving the system in an indeterminate state.  It was better to install
a subset and then add/update the needed packages.  Troy provides the
single "install" dvd to mitigate this problem.  The Everything set
provides everything but does not necessarily provide a clean install of
all options.

Hubert