SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

February 2011

From:
Bart Swedrowski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bart Swedrowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2011 13:11:44 +0000
On 19 February 2011 13:00, Bob & Jeanne Good <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I downloaded the 3.4 gigabyte SL6 Install DVD expecting an up-to-date
> system (latest kernel, etc.) upon completion of the install. But, to my
> disappointment, I had 112 packages waiting on me when I checked for
> updates.
[...]
> Might I suggest that this Install DVD be updated to include the latest
> packages?

I am not speaking for the SL dev team here, but the goal of RH clones
is for them to become *exactly* the same as the upstream (i.e. RedHat)
without having to pay subscription fees to use it or receive further
updates.

It's not their aim to change it, make it better, patch it or create
any alternatives like DVDs with updated set of packages.  If you need
something like this (i.e. DVD with updated set of packages) you can do
this yourself utilising kickstart techniques (I am sure there is a lot
of documentation flying around; have done this one myself before).