SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

February 2011

From:
Bob & Jeanne Good <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob & Jeanne Good <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2011 20:27:09 -0600
On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 20:31:43 +0100, Urs Beyerle <[log in to unmask]>
 wrote:

>Hi,
>
>The latest SL6 beta3 LiveCDs, LiveDVDs and LiveMiniCD are ready for test
ing

>http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/6rolling/i386/iso
>http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/6rolling/x86_64/iso
>

>Changes compared to beta1:
>
>- rebuild against SL6 beta3
>- add LiveMiniCD for 64-bit
>- make LiveMiniCD smaller
>- add icewm to LiveCD
>- customize icewm
>- fix bug with system-config-firewall
>- add boot parameter pw= to define a password at boot prompt
>- add boot parameter noautologin to disable auto login
>- several smaller bug fixes
>

>NOTES
>
>For SL6 the way how the LiveCD is built has completely changed. It is
>now based on the Fedora livecd-tools. Some features which you might know

>from SL4/SL5 LiveCD are not or not yet included.
>If you install the LiveCD to hard drive, the installation of the live
>image is now done by anaconda similar to the normal SL6 installation.
>You can install the LiveCD on an USB stick with persistent changes using

>liveusb-creator included in SL6.
>

>KNOWN ISSUES / MISSING
>
>* Install to hard drive crashes, if a disk is mounted. Per default
>  no hard drive are mounted.
>* Boot parameter to set the keyboard layout (kb) does not work
>* Reboot after install to hard drive may not work
>* Support for diskless client is very limited. You need twice as
>  much RAM as the size of the LiveCD (NOT PLANNED for SL60 release)
>* Documentation is missing
>

>BOOT PARAMETERS (working)
>
>kb=: set password
>noautologin: disable auto login
>noswap: do not search for SWAP partition
>automount: to enable auto mounting (rw) of all found hard drives
>user=username: user name of local user, default is sluser
>cell=your.cell: to set an AFS cell
>xdriver=drivername: to use a specific driver for the Xserver
>cups=servername: set the CUPS server
>serviceon=s1[:s2:..]: to enable the service(s) s1,s2,...
>serviceoff=s1[:s2:..]: to disable the service(s) s1,s2,...
>hostname=: to set the hostname
>

>BOOT PARAMETERS (planned but not yet working)
>
>nox: do not start the X server
>kde: use kde as default desktop
>afs: to start AFS during boot up
>

>Cheers,
>
>    Urs

Urs,
Your SL6 LiveCD Beta 3 is functioning quite nicely. No problems to report
.
I've been using it for 3 or 4 days now. I have your download site
bookmarked. My only complaint is you're a bit slow in reporting that you
have a release ready for testing. ;).

Keep up the good work.

Later...

Bob