SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

February 2011

From:
Douglas McClendon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Douglas McClendon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2011 16:18:40 -0600
On 02/07/2011 04:06 PM, Urs Beyerle wrote:
> Hi Patrick
>
> On 02/07/2011 08:16 PM, patrickm wrote:
>> On Sun, 06 Feb 2011 19:10:36 -0600, Bob&  Jeanne Good
>> <[log in to unmask]>  wrote:
>>> Urs's LiveCD SL6 creations are working very well for me as well.
>>
>> I tried the LiveDVD. And everything seems to work well, except that I
>> got an error when I was configuring the firewall. I configured the
>> Network Print Client (IPP) and got the following error when I tried to
>> save the configuration: http://www.imagebam.com/image/02a339118578182
>
> Thanks for reporting this.
>
> In case system-config-firewall is started from the menu ->  System ->
> Administration ->  Firewall. The program system-config-firewall runs
> under the normal user "sluser", which has no permission to change the
> firewall config. That's why you get the error "IOError: Permission
> denied: /etc/sysconfig/iptables.old"
>
> It should work, if you run the firewall configuration as root from the
> command line:
>
> su -
> system-config-firewall
>
> This all happens because I do not set a root password and give all
> rights to the sluser via /etc/sudoers
>
> sluser     ALL=(ALL)     NOPASSWD: ALL
>
> This seems to "confuse" system-config-firewall when starting as normal
> user.
>
> I have to think about how to solve this problem ... any suggestions are
> welcome.

I would think you should be able to match whatever the fedora LiveCD
does, but maybe they don't include s-c-f, or don't believe it should be
configured to be run by a normal user.

But you may want to take a look at how the installer (anaconda/liveinst)
is invoked by the desktop user with root privs, i.e.
/etc/security/console.apps/liveinst and /etc/pam.d/liveinst

-dmc