SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2011

From:
Parshwa Murdia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Parshwa Murdia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2011 15:11:01 +0100
Hi,

I am absolute beginner in the world of Linux and trying it because get
to know that Linux is much much more secured and good as when compared
with Windows. After many different conclusions, I am giving a try to
SL, ignoring at first other distros, videlicet, Fedora, Ubuntu, Cent
OS, etc..

When I went to the page:

http://ftp1.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/55/iso/i386/cd/

there are seven CDs (if I don't go in DVD option), but is it possible
to have only one CD installed and use then yum update??

Though I am absolutely new in Linux, but gave a try to Fedora 11 but
because my busy job schedule, couldn't give enough time to it,
ultimately it reached EOL (which I later knew that it has expired and
no more used!). But SL is having a longer EOL, at least when you
compare it with Fedora. But I burned Fedora in one CD, is it possible
to get only one CD of SL and then install the OS in 250 GB of hard
disk and 2 GB of RAM.

I hope SL would prove to be robust as Fermi and Cern Labs also use it.
--

Regards,
Parshwa Murdia