SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2011

From:
Felix Reinel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Felix Reinel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2011 13:38:12 +0100
Hi,
> 1)
> Is there better options I should use to obtain better performance? (e.g.
> noac will but I would the server to commit to disk and flash should help
> my speed there)
Depending on the NFS version you are using, tuning the block sizes might
help (rsize, wsize).
The newer versions already have decent blocksizes.
Configuring the mountpoints with the async option should again speed up
writes a bit.
> 2)
> Is there a package (preferably within Scientific Linux Packages - if not
> easily compilable) to do benchmarks on a mounted NFS filesystem?
> Possibly print out latency and IOPs? I ask as I am about to add a F20e
> flash card to my server and want to see the difference in performance I
> can get with the Flash card and no flash card.
I have good experience with iozone.

Best regards,
Felix

Felix Reinel               |  Web & Systems Administrator
Office: D132 ESO           |
Tel.:   +49-89-32006-171   |  Address:
Fax.:   +49-89-32006-677   |    European Southern Observatory
Mobile: +49-160-2956856    |    Karl-Schwarzschild-Strasse 2
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]    |    D-85748 Garching bei Muenchen, Germany
                   http://www.eso.org