SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2011

From:
Steven Timm <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steven Timm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2011 22:27:02 -0600
On Thu, 13 Jan 2011, LEES, Cooper wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am mounting NFS from a Sun (Oracle) x4540 using the following options:
> plumper.ansto.gov.au:/cesspool/home        /home   nfs
> defaults,bg,intr,hard,noacl     0 0
> (Have played with noac as well etc.)

Suggest the book "Managing NFS and NIS"--some useful info
particularly when the server side is a Sun.
Other main thing to do is to play with rsize and wsize
which default to 1024.  We use 32768 for both on
most of our mounts, also try proto=tcp

> 1)
> Is there better options I should use to obtain better performance? (e.g.
> noac will but I would the server to commit to disk and flash should help
> my speed there)
>
> 2)
> Is there a package (preferably within Scientific Linux Packages - if not
> easily compilable) to do benchmarks on a mounted NFS filesystem?
> Possibly print out latency and IOPs? I ask as I am about to add a F20e
> flash card to my server and want to see the difference in performance I
> can get with the Flash card and no flash card.
>
> Ta,
> ----
> Cooper Ry Lees
> HPC / UNIX Systems Administrator - Information Technology Services (ITS)
> Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation
> T  +61 2 9717 3853
> F  +61 2 9717 9273
> M  +61 403 739 446
> E  [log in to unmask]
> www.ansto.gov.au <http://www.ansto.gov.au>
>
> Important: This transmission is intended only for the use of the
> addressee.
> It is confidential and may contain privileged information or copyright
> material. If you are not the intended recipient, any use or further
> disclosure of this communication is strictly forbidden. If you have
> received this transmission in error, please notify me immediately by
> telephone and delete all copies of this transmission as well as any
> attachments.

Steven C. Timm, Ph.D  (630) 840-8525
[log in to unmask]  http://home.fnal.gov/~timm/
Grid Facilities Department, FermiGrid Services Group, Group Leader.
Lead of FermiCloud project.