SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2011

From:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2011 18:21:28 +0000
On Fri, 7 Jan 2011, Niels Walet wrote:

> Quite a few-firefox can be a pain...
> 1- Usually, the issue is with a setting/plugin
> 2- Run as another user
> 3- Try firefox -safemode (which disables most of the plugins/extensions)
> If 2 and 3 work, you may want to disable all extensions and test one by o
> ne.

If 2+3 work you may want to try removing/renaming any extensions.ini file
in the profile, which will cause ffox to rebuild it on next startup...

There is a known bug in firefox 3.6 which causes the wrong data to be put
into extensions.ini if any component of the path to the profile is a
symlink, which then causes firefox to crash on next startup - if you have
any extensions using certain features.

A fix has been committed to the ffox 3.6 tree but I don't think it is in
any of the released versions yet...

Currently we have a workround wrapper which removes extensions.ini on
ffox startup, and seems to have cured it for our users - at a small
startup cost.

  -- Jon