SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2011

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2011 09:28:30 -0600
john h outlan wrote:
> I use linux in a work environment, mainly for data security reasons.
> I've used Linux since around 1997 or so.
>
> Question:  I need to have sound functioning for work.  After a HD
> install, I get sound on SL6, but at a very low volume.  No userspace
> adjustments will change it such as setting PCM all the way up, etc.
> Does anyone have a clue about this and what to do about it?  I've
> noticed this behaviour on a couple of other distro's, but not all of
> them.  I'm using Debian Squeeze right now and sound is
> fine, but I want to change it out for SL.
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Hi John,
Did you do a full desktop install or a minimal desktop install?
I noticed that when I did a minimal desktop install that alot of tools I
usually use are missing.  This is on purpose of course, but I was still
surprised.

I've only tried the sound on one machine thus far.  I was in gnome, and
I was able to raise and lower the volume using the normal user graphical
tools.
What "userland tools" are you using?

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/SCF/FEF/SLSMS Group