SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2011

From:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2011 13:37:11 +0100
Hi,

On Jan 5, 2011, at 13:30, g1vrg wrote:

> Hi, I have noticed that in default SL5.5 disk operations tend to hugely
> tie up my pc. For example when writing large files (of the order of 10
> GB) I may have to wait 30 seconds before I can get a response from
> another application on the desktop. Is there another i/o scheduler other
> than the default that I can specify presumably as a kernel command in
> the grub boot loader config file? I recently swapped over from debian
> lenny and the i/o scheduler there

which one was it?

You can change I/O schedulers per block device on the fly:

# cat /sys/block/sda/queue/scheduler
noop anticipatory deadline [cfq]
# echo noop >> /sys/block/sda/queue/scheduler
# cat /sys/block/sda/queue/scheduler
[noop] anticipatory deadline cfq

I guess you get the idea. Let us know which one works best for you (and what hardware you have).

Regards
	Stephan

--
Stephan Wiesand