SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2011

From:
Larry Vaden <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Vaden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jan 2011 19:44:32 -0600
On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 6:58 PM, Larry Vaden <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> What did I do wrong and/or how do I fix this?

With apologies for replying to my own post, the final solution
(possibly regarded as draconian and puerile by others) which seemed to
work to return to a consistent state was to download Oracle R5U6 and
invoke 'rpm -ivh' following some rpms which must be set aside in order
to avoid "can not coexist." (e.g., bind vs. bind97 et al).

My thoughts are that it would work as well once CentOS and Scientific
Linux R5U6 are released.

It was necessary to pay special attention to the output of

updatedb; locate .rpm | egrep ".rpmnew$|.rpmorig$|.rpmsave$"

No data was lost, but I watch some Dennis Miller, and like him at the
end of a rant, "I could be wrong about that" :)

kind regards/ldv