SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2011

From:
Keith Lofstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2011 22:29:05 -0800
SL (and I presume the upstream distro) ships with an Apache
httpd.conf file that loads something like 60 modules.  The
windows philosophy - throw in everything rather than risk
a tech support question about something obscure that
doesn't work.

Ivan Ristic's book "Apache Security" points out that every
unneeded module opens a potential security hole.  I run almost
a dozen virtual websites on my server, with wikis, mailing
lists, password-accessed web pages, subversion, redirects,
rewrites, and many other features, yet I was able to reduce
the number of loaded modules down to 17 (and possibly 13,
if I remove a seldom used webapp that uses caching).  I
don't know for sure that apache is faster or more secure
after the slim-down, but I feel better. :-)

I won't reveal to the world (and evildoers) what modules I am
still using, but those interested can contact me off the list.

Keith

--
Keith Lofstrom          [log in to unmask]         Voice (503)-520-1993