SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

January 2011

From:
carlopmart <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
carlopmart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2011 14:34:15 +0100
On 01/28/2011 02:04 PM, Adrian Sevcenco wrote:
> On 01/28/2011 11:54 AM, carlopmart wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>>   I need to install a virtual machine acting as a virtual storage server
>> under CentOS 5.x (using kvm, xen, virtualbox or vmware). This virtual
>> storage machine needs to server storage to another ESXi server and at
>> the same time to the host where is installed.
> I ask just for my own education :
> Why would you want to have a "Virtual" storage?
> what are the benefits? why not having the host serving what you need
> (either nfs or samba) to the virtual machines?
>
> Thanks!
> Adrian

I need to install four machines using RHCS (two different clusters with two nodes on
each one) and, only in this case, I would like to use kvm instead other
virtualization products (AFAIK, kvm doesn't provides shared disk for virtual
guests). At the same time, I need to install virtual machines onto ESXi server using
iSCSI boot because I don't have enough disk space on this server (80GB).

If I use CentOS 5.x host to serve disks for virtual machines, I don't have
sufficient RAM to run virtual guests onto it because this host has 5GB of RAM only.

--
CL Martinez
carlopmart {at} gmail {d0t} com