SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

January 2011

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2011 16:18:27 -0600
Chris Pemberton wrote:
> Congratulations;  SL 6 beta runs so flawless on my two machines that I'm
> getting bored.  I'm waiting for something to bork soon so I can start
> googling for fixes.  Until then:
>
> The only issue I can find is when the "rings" plymouth boot screen is
> displayed, the words "Scientific Linux 6" look like they were rendered
> on a Nintendo; especially when contrasted with the smooth animation just
> below it.
>
> The "offending" file is located at
> /usr/share/plymouth/themes/rings/header_image.png.  I've created a
> smoother looking png; but just replacing the original file has no effect
> at boot time.  I suppose the animation is rendered beforehand somehow
> and just played back at boot.  I'll look into it.
>
> If you'd like a smoother-looking png file, I'd be glad to share mine.
> I'm not a graphic artist or anything, but gimp is easy enough.
>
> In all honesty, thanks for the great work.  I'm just a stay-at-home-dad
> with an ME degree and an addiction to linux; but you're saving me a
> couple hundred dollars a year with your efforts;  money better spent on
> books for my three girls.
>
> Chris

Hi Chris,
My Nintendo NES does all my graphical rendering, but you are the first
person to notice. :)
I ran into the same problem you did of not being able to change the
startup graphics.  You can change the shutdown graphics just by changing
a file, but not the startup.
The reason is that the startup graphics are in the initrd image, so you
have to remake it.  You can either reinstall a new kernel or run

/sbin/new-kernel-pkg --package kernel --mkinitrd --dracut --depmod
--update `uname -r`

If I have your permission, I will put this graphic in.  It does look
very nice.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/SCF/FEF/SLSMS Group