SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

January 2011

From:
Chris Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2011 13:39:16 -0600
Congratulations;  SL 6 beta runs so flawless on my two machines that I'm
getting bored.  I'm waiting for something to bork soon so I can start
googling for fixes.  Until then:

The only issue I can find is when the "rings" plymouth boot screen is
displayed, the words "Scientific Linux 6" look like they were rendered
on a Nintendo; especially when contrasted with the smooth animation just
below it.

The "offending" file is located at
/usr/share/plymouth/themes/rings/header_image.png.  I've created a
smoother looking png; but just replacing the original file has no effect
at boot time.  I suppose the animation is rendered beforehand somehow
and just played back at boot.  I'll look into it.

If you'd like a smoother-looking png file, I'd be glad to share mine.
I'm not a graphic artist or anything, but gimp is easy enough.

In all honesty, thanks for the great work.  I'm just a stay-at-home-dad
with an ME degree and an addiction to linux; but you're saving me a
couple hundred dollars a year with your efforts;  money better spent on
books for my three girls.

Chris